Thursday 3 May 2012

Who are you, really?

Recently I was posed a question by a friend, and it made me think.  What my social media-savvy friend really wanted to know I didn't have an answer for.  What was my social media personality?  I had just finished explaining to her my blog, what it was about, and a little of why I started it in the first place.

I had thought having a blog about beauty in Vancouver would be pretty self explanatory-my personality is fun, fashionable, and out-going!  I hadn't given much thought to what sort of "personality" I wanted to convey-other than my own personality-right here on this blog!  A quick search of social media uncovered seven different social media personalities-I had no idea so many existed!



Chris Street of socialmediatoday.com has an excellent post explaining the seven social media types.  Examples include The Guru, The Chameleon, and The Sponge.  Street's blog post can be found here. I would say I identify as an "All-rounder" in my blogging style.

"Smart, shart, intuitive, sassy and direct. They observe, add value, and are nice people all-round. They give, share, contribute, and clearly love to be in the middle of the positive social conversations. These types are also excellent networkers offline too, so find them, nurture them and stick with the winners."

Another one of my favorite blogs, Vogue UK's Beauty Blog is an example of a great all-rounder blog. They cover a variety of beauty topics, with an acerbic wit that's best left up to the Brits! Vogue's UK Beauty Blog delivers up to the minute tips on the latest beauty trends and must-have products.



Don't forget-your social media personality can be displayed even if you don't think it is!  In order to best monitor your online presence and profile-be sure to remove or "un-tag" unflattering photographs of yourself, and keep snide remarks private-or alternatively, refrain from making them altogether!  Your online personality is one that follows you-so be sure to take a moment about putting your best face forward!  

Which social media personality are you?  If you haven't yet, give it some thought-what is your Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pinterest, saying about you?

XO

T



4 comments:

  1. Great point about monitoring what is being "shared" about ourselves online. Love the photo from The United States of Tara, excellent reference to an excellent show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever worry that your social media profiles say too much about you? There have been some things that I've actually been following "silently" (aka checking on the feeds, but not actually clicking "like") - for the sole reason that I didn't want anyone to know that I was interested in the topic, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I do, and yes-if anyone else saw some of the silly things I spend my time looking at online-I'd be a little embarrassed... LOL.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Julia! Great show, and perfect fit for this blog post :)

    ReplyDelete