Thursday 10 May 2012

Beautiful Tweets = Increased Revenue?

Today I stumbled across Bobbi Brown's corporate twitter account, and customer service account.  I was impressed, to say the least.  There are two separate accounts, one to focus solely on beauty queries and customer issues while the other promotes products and contests.  Bobbi Brown Cosmetics has over 101,000 followers, and the customer service account has over 3,000.

What I'd like to know, is how much does the tweeting have an impact on sales?  We live in a social media age, where everyone is always connected to something.  But what about twenty years ago, when products such as Revlon and Max Factor were flying off the shelves in mass quantities. No one was tweeting, "liking" them on Facebook, or entering e-newsletter contests.

If I were to examine Bobbi Brown's social media campaign fully, I would focus on Twitter, and the correlation to their sales.  Do sales of long-wear eye pencils spike once a contest promoting them has been announced?    Due to the large following, and number of young females using Twitter, I feel like it's the perfect grounds to assess their target market.  It also goes without saying how relevent Twitter and Facebook are when it comes to marketing and promoting a business.  Bobbi Brown already has a loyal and engaged fan following, but if I were to try to recruit participants, I'd do so through Facebook, on their website, and at store level.  Luckily when there are giveaways involved, there isn't too much convincing needed!  There are plenty of beauty junkies (myself included!) willing to not only enter contests, but purchase the products that go right along with them!

Do you follow your favorite brands on Twitter?  If so, do interesting tweets or posts drive you to buy?

Happy Shopping!

T

4 comments:

  1. I personally don’t have a Twitter account, and am therefore not involved in what goes on in the world of “tweets”. Although I am a young, professional female, who would fit into the target market Bobbi Brown cosmetics is trying to reach, I don’t have a Twitter account, and therefore wouldn’t be influenced by any marketing the company does through Twitter. I do on the other hand have a Facebook account, and would therefore more likely respond to a Facebook campaign. However, because my privacy on Facebook is very important to me, and because I don’t like filling my account up with page “Likes”, I would also not respond to a Facebook campaign. Of course, I may belong to a small niche of young, female, professionals who don’t respond to social media marketing campaigns as eagerly as others. Because of this, I appreciate that you included recruitment at store level, since I think a lot of traffic and interest can be driven at retail outlets, where consumers can see and test the products.
    On another note, you mention that as part of you social media testing, you would focus on Twitter and the direct correlation to sales. To test this, I am wondering what target audience sample size you would focus on. Would it include all females following Bobbi Brown cosmetics on Twitter? Would it be nationwide, North America wide, or bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I also really value my privacy on Facebook, and am very careful what I "Like". I think store-level recruitment is necessary, albeit challenging. There are several stores which I frequent, but continuously deny them my email address for promotional purposes.

    I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in my earlier post regarding the audience sample size. I would focus my test on all female Twitter followers of Bobbi Brown cosmetics (though 101,000 followers is great-it's still a drop in the pan compared to the larger demographic of female consumers in North America), and make my test North America-wide.

    Hope that answers your questions, thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you. I do not have a Twitter account, nor do I have any interest in obtaining one. I too have a facebook account but if I have to "allow access" or enter any personal information, I likely won't.

    With that being said, if I freqent a store, like Children's Place, and want to know about upcoming promotions, contests, etc. I am very likely to provide them my email address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments :)

    I am also very intent on keeping my privacy online. You can never be too careful when it comes to security and protection online.

    As for receiving promotional emails, I feel like I already get so much spam and advertising material coming into my inbox I need a separate account just for the stores I frequent!

    ReplyDelete